A classic pizza topping, mushrooms of course have a wide variety of uses. Not only does roasting them in advance add flavor and caramelization, but cooking off some moisture makes for an easier bake on any pizza! This recipe works well with any mushrooms – crimini and button are fine, but for something special, try in season chanterelles, morels, or shitake. This recipe can be as simple as you like – olive oil, salt, and black pepper are the staples, but we like the addition of garlic, chili flake, and fresh lemon.
- 1 lb. sliced mushrooms, 1/4" - 1/8" thick
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin oil
- 1 tsp Searing Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Pinch red chili flakes
- 1 ea. lemon wedge, squeeze
- Toss mushrooms with olive oil in a large mixing bowl – once coated, transfer to sheet pan or other vessel. Try to arrange mushrooms in a single layer – minimizing overlapping will make for better caramelization.
- Cook mushrooms in the finishing zone until they begin to brown, then add garlic, chili flake, and searing seasoning, stir, and return to the finishing zone for 1 minute.
- Remove from the oven, and finish with fresh squeezed lemon.